Paragliding 2 (PG2) Course
We teach paragliding on private land at Ruapuke (west coast) also inland flights at the Kaimai Range and Paeroa Range.
Our course is comprehensive yet fun with a great bunch of like minded pilots striving to be the best pilots possible, we run this course both on weekends and during the week weather permitting. Pilots travel from all over the north island to be part of this course.
We offer accommodation if required from $25 per night including breakfast 5min from launch.
PG2 Paragliding course NZHGPA requirements are as follows:
- Top landings
- Flying with other paragliders
- Landing approach methods
- 360 degree turns
- Slope landings
- Rear riser control in flight and landing
- Tight banked turns and flat turns
- Speed control
- Reverse launch
- Height loss of up to 600 ft/min. (not spirals)
- Be able to land within 20m of a spot on 2 consecutive flights
- Demonstrate knowledge and ground drills of reserve parachute deployment
- Demonstrate a safe attitude towards paragliding
Flight Log Requirements
- *Total logged flight time of 90 minutes, including 3 flights of at least 10 minutes duration
- A total of 40 launches/landings
- At least 5 take-offs in winds of less than 5 knots
- At least 5 take-offs in winds 9 knots or more
- Have flown from at least 5 different sites
- Kept an accurate and up-to-date log book
*Mount Paragliding have designed an online logging app to make this process easy.
Mount Paragliding has broken this down into 3 learning stages:
- 10 flights under comprehensive radio instruction
- Reserve deployment considerations
- Advanced ground handling techniques
- Launch and landing techniques and considerations
- Environmental & meteorological understanding to ensure safe, enjoyable flying
- Safety considerations when flying with others (VFR - visual flight rules)
- 10 flights under radio instruction
- Advanced glider control (pitch and yaw control)
- Big ears descent technique
- Speed bar descent technique
- Rear riser glider control
- Glider speed and pitch control
- Spot landing practice introduction
- Introduction to thermal flying both theory and practical
- PG2 exam study and video analysis
- 15 flights under radio instruction where required
- 2 other flying sites
- Top landings
- Advanced techniques in flight
- Stabilo line method to recover a cravat
- Collapse recovery
- Thermalling flight/s
- PG2 exam completion
Q Mastercard finance is available interest free for 12 months. https://mountparagliding.co.nz/finance
As a student of Mount Paragliding you get access to discounts on new and used equipment. You can purchase or rent equipment.
Upon completion of Stage 3 you are certified to fly solo!
Covid 19 (piece of mind)
Due to the unknown covid 19 situation for us all Mount Paragliding is making all course dates transferable. If you sign up and choose a course date and that can not be attended we will transfer your booking to the next available date. We are currently operating under level 2.