Paramotor Full Course
I used to think paramotors were noisy and annoying until I tried one and found, if used correctly, they are adventure machines! I have had over 100 flights in the last 7 months, including during winter when most paragliders are grounded.
My most memorable flight was a launch at Thames aerodrome, with a stunning flight to the Coromandel aerodrome for lunch, then a re-launch to fly over the Coromandel range to Matarangi on the other coast - all on one tank of gas. The views were breathtaking.
Other memorable flights could include: Makatu to East Cape, Ruahine Ranges, Raglan to Ruapuke return, Kaweka Ranges...the options are endless.
What makes a memorable flight?
- Good flight conditions
- Beautiful coastal and mountain scenery
- Smart piloting, ensuring enough height for landing options
- Not annoying other beach users
- Reliable paramotor that you can trust
- Comfortable harness and good clothing to stay warm
- Preparation and training
Paramotor Full Course
The full course is for anyone wanting one course that will licence you for Paragliding and Paramotoring.
You will first learn to fly a paraglider and then develop motor skills.
What you need:
- Paragliding equipment for groundhandling and short flights (supplied)
- Scout or Parajet Paramotor - takes around 3 weeks to arrive once ordered
- Scout or Parajet Paramotor - you are required to have your own paramotor for this course
- Be available for all training sessions to benefit from learning continuity
- NZHGPA full membership
Stages of learning
- Paraglider, harness care and maintenance
- Weather basics
- Launch and flight risk assessment
- Pre-flight check systems
- Log book requirements
- Ground control your glider
- Launch and fly your glider
- Airband VHF radio introduction
- 25 free flights under comprehensive radio instruction
- Reserve deployment considerations
- Advanced ground handling techniques
- Launch and landing techniques and considerations
- Advanced environmental & meteorological understanding to ensure safe, enjoyable flying
- Safety considerations when flying with others (e.g. VFR - visual flight rules)
- Torque forces understanding
- Motor instruction then introduction
- Ground control with motor
- Practice launches with motor
- Motor flights (25 minimum required)
- 30km cross-country flight
- Complete the required exams as you progress through the course (3 exams in total)
This course includes the following ratings:
- PG1 (Paraglider 1)
- PG2 (Paraglider 2 - solo pilot)
- PP (Powered Paragliding)
- ARO (Airband Radio Operator)
On completion of the full course you will be licenced to free fly or motor fly, and have the knowledge to safely fly with other aircraft using airband radio.
You will start this course with no flying experience and finish with the freedom to confidently free fly a coastal ridge or thermal site, or paramotor fly.
This course does it all!
Covid 19 (piece of mind)
Due to the unknown covid 19 situation for us all Mount Paragliding is making all course dates transferable. If you sign up and choose a course date and that can not be attended we will transfer your booking to the next available date.