Speed Flying Course
Wow! This is exciting.
Mount Paragliding has teamed up with speed flying legend Dave Edwards to run speed flying courses.
With so much interest in speedflying it's important pilots get the right training because speedflying is fundamentally different to paragliding. Come and learn with someone who has the experience and practical understanding to remove the guesswork and ensure you take full advantage of this exhilarating method of flight.
Dave's planned and precise flying may be considered sheer madness to onlookers, however, when you chat with him you soon find out the opposite is true. Dave doesn't take shortcuts and is motivated to help us develop great all round pilots with the skills to keep enjoying this fantastic sport for a long time.
"I myself wouldn’t be where I am today without the tutorage of David and the understanding that he brought to the table that no other pilot or instructor could bring, I've never met anyone that understands and can explain the dynamics of wind, lee, turbulence and flying better."
- Malachi Templeton
- Weather reading
- Coastal and inland considerations
- Understanding turbulance related to speed flying
- Using the brake range
- Why C riser steering is not advised
- Generating and keeping energy in the wing
- Trimmers - when and how to use
- Landings with energy
- Safety margins
- Differences between paragliding and speed flying
- NZHGPA speed wing (SWP) rating requirements
- ...and much more
During this course we will cover various launch techniques, top landing, and how important it is to learn your wings full brake range. This course teaches precision flying, control and how to generate energy in the wing to give you options when flying close to terrain (low proximity).
If you are looking for training from a speed flying expert you have found the right course - you'll be learning with one of the world's best speedflyers. You'll complete this course equipped to fly accurately, competently and understanding how to safely progress your speedflying.
You'll be shown how to perform fundamental aspects of speed flying and then practice them yourself.
- Low proximity short flights - controlling altitude using precise brake control
- Top to bottoms - showing precision with various landing approach methods
- Trimmer use and what that means to flight
- Coordinated turns with speed and dive control
You will then learn more advanced flying techniques to ensure you can lower the risk and enjoy safer flights.
- Pitch, yaw and roll control
- Obtaining and using energy
- Required considerations and skills for top landing
- Mental considerations to keep you sharp and knowing when to call it a day
This is not paragliding and it is important you understand the increased risks when flying fast and close to terrain, which is of course why a comprehensive course is vital.
See our FAQ section for more detail.
Our coastal site for teaching is accessed through private land at Ruapuke.